Sheds, Carports, Decks & Fencing

Depending on the size and scope of the work, many of these structures are classed as Category 1 - Low Risk Building Work. This means that you may not require Building Approval, however, depending on the project, you may still require a Planning Permit or Plumbing Approval. Council has developed a number of checklists relating to Category 1 - Low Risk Building Work to help guide you.

Sheds and carports

To download a shed or carport checklist, click on the relevant link below:

Small Garages, Sheds & Carports (maximum size of 18sqm)
Large Garages, Sheds & Carports (maximum size of 36sqm)
Farm Sheds (maximum size of 200sqm)

Fences and walls

Boundary fences between neighbouring properties are the owners responsibility to erect and repair. Boundary fences are governed by the Boundary Fences Act 1908 and the Boundary Fences Regulations 2008.

These regulations stipulate who is responsible for the costs associated with boundary fences, how and when you should notify your neighbour that you intend to undertake work and what to do if you cannot agree. Council is unable to become involved in neighbour disputes. For more information about boundary fences and resolving disputes visit

Fence or Wall Building Checklist

Pool fences

If your swimming pool or spa holds a depth of water that is 300mm or more or, it was installed from the year 1994 onwards, you must install a pool fence. This applies to pools that are in-ground, above ground, inflatable, relocatable, wading pools, spas, hot tubs - even if they are located indoors.

Pool Fencing Information


Low Deck Building Checklist