You are here:Home / SERVICE / Public and Environmental Health / Public Health

Public Health

Council Environmental Health Officers work under the Public Health Act 1997 to monitor, maintain, protect and promote the health and well being of the community.

Notifiable Diseases

What is a notifiable disease?
Notifiable diseases are identified by the Director of Public Health as those with wide public health significance. Upon advice from the Director, the officers from Council's Environmental Health section investigate the possible sources and causes of the disease and, where possible, carry out appropriate preventative action.

Where can I get more information on Notifiable Diseases?
The Department of Health and Human Services have put together some fact sheets including important information regarding notifiable diseases. To find this information easily, click on the links below.


Sharps Disposal Service

Council provides a free service for disposal of sharps containers for diabetic and home-care patients. Sharps include needles, syringes and other sharp objects of a medical nature.

Sharps can be dangerous and must not be disposed of with household or kerbside waste, at Refuse Disposal Sites, in public bins, left on the ground or flushed down toilets or drains. Ensure sharps are disposed of correctly into approved sharps containers and kept out of reach of children.

Council can only accept sharps in approved containers, available from Reception in 3 different sizes: 7.8 litres, 3.1 litres and 1.4 litres.

To dispose of a sharps container, secure the lid of the container and place the container in a plastic bag, tie the plastic bag before handing it to Council staff for disposal.

Rainwater Tanks

Rainwater Tanks are utilised by many Meander Valley residents. This is a fantastic step towards sustainability, especially during times of drought as we have experienced in the last few years. To maintain the quality and integrity of the water, there are a few simple steps you need to follow, especially if you are using the rainwater for drinking or cooking. A helpful resource on maintaining your rainwater tank has been put together by the Australian Government Environmental Health Authority: Guidance on use of Rainwater Tanks.

Who do I contact for any further information or should I have a complaint of an environmental or public health nature?
Contact Council's Environmental Health Office between 8.30am and 5.00pm weekdays on 6393 5300.

I would like to...