You are here:Home / SERVICE / Rates / Rates Remissions

Rate Remissions


If you have recently become a pensioner, or have recently moved into the Meander Valley Council area, you will need to complete an Application for Pensioner Rate Remission, which can be obtained by contacting Council on 6393 5300.  

This form, together with a photocopy of your valid Pension, DVA or Health Care Card (refer to the card types listed below), must be received by Council by 31 March of any year in which the rates are calculated.

To be eligible for a pensioner rate remission you must as at the 1st July of the financial year:

1.   Be the owner/occupier of the property for which you are claiming a rebate, and

2.   Have one of the following valid cards:

Valid Cards

A remission may be available to pensioners who hold one of three types of cards issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA), eligibility is assessed and advised by the State Government's Department of Treasury and Finance.

Local Government (Rates and Charges Remissions) Act 1991 defines the holder of any of these three card types to be an eligible pensioner to apply for rates remission, if all other criteria is met; e.g ownership/occupier.

No other cards are acceptable for verifying eligibility for a rate remission.

Card Types

  • Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)

A current PCC has a 'date of grant' on or prior to 1 July of the year to which the rates rebate relates. The date is printed on the pensioner card. A PCC is issued by Centrelink and the DVA and includes full name and pension number.

  • Health Care Card (HCC)

A current Australian Government HCC has a “date of grant‟ on or prior to 1 July of the year to which the rates rebate relates. This date is printed on the card.

An Australian Government Seniors Health Card does NOT qualify the holder for a rates remission.

  • Repatriation Health Card - ie 'Gold Card' endorsed Total or Permanent Injury (TPI) or War Widow/Widower DVA

The expiry date (“date of grant‟ on or prior to 1 July) printed on the bottom right hand corner of the card determines whether it is current.

I would like to...