Property Development

You are here:Home / PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT / Fencing


Boundary Fences

Council does not intervene in disputes between neighbours over boundary fences. The Boundary Fences Act provides for the settlement of disputes. You can obtain free legal advice from the Legal Advice Service on 1300 366 611.

If you are considering asking Council to assist with a co-contribution towards a boundary fence adjoining Council property, please phone Council on 6393 5300 to discuss.

Are Planning or Building Approvals Required? 

Any boundary fence over 1.2 metres high and constructed of brick, block or concrete and any other fence over 2.1 metres high requires planning and building permits. For further information regarding this please do not hesitate to contact Council's Development Services Department on (03) 6393 5320 or alternatively email 

Fencing Co-Contribution

The Boundary Fences Act 1908 determines local council obligations in regard to co-contribution towards boundary fencing. The Act can be viewed at the following link Boundary Fence Act.

Council will share the cost of fencing boundaries between private and Council owned land in accordance with the Boundary Fences Act 1908.  This act exempts Council from making a contribution where Council owned land is a roadway (which includes a public highway, street, right-of-way, whether the right-of-way is a vehicle access, horse-way or foot-way), unoccpied land, a reserve or public place.

Situations where Counci is not exempt and is required to share in the cost of a boundary fence include:

  • Where a property adjoins a Council owned house or building.
  • Commercial or security area e.g. Council depot.

Meander Valley Council has a policy which addresses the fencing of Council owned land. The policy conforms with the Tasmanian Boundary Fences Act 1908 and can be viewed below.  

If you have any further queries regarding boundary fencing please phone Council on 6393 5300.

Fencing Council Owned Land(136 kb)

I would like to...