Property Development

You are here:Home / PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT / Engineering / Driveway Crossovers

Driveway Crossovers

A driveway crossover is the section of the driveway in front of the property front boundary (including any kerb and channel and footpath) that you use to get your vehicle from the road to the driveway within your property. In Tasmania the owner of the property is responsible for providing and looking after the driveway crossover (refer to Roads and Jetties Act 1935 Section 16AA Maintenance and Repair of Vehicular Access and Section 40 Power to make Drains on Adjoining Lands). Council is responsible when damage to the crossing is caused by Council's works or if Council's services need replacing.

All new and replacement driveway crossovers will need a Council permit - there is no fee, only a procedure to follow. Once your application has been received, our inspector will look at your plan and the site. If something needs to be changed the inspector will call and see you. You will then receive your permit to start work. Most permits for a standard driveway crossover are issued in ten working days.

NOTE: All driveway crossover works MUST be completed by a Contractor who has the relevant skills, qualifications and insurances*.  (* When using a Contractor you will need to confirm they have the following insurances: $10 million public liability insurance, personal accident or workers compensation insurance, and motor vehicle and plant insurances.)

For advice and more information, call the Customer Service Centre on (03) 6393 5300.

View more information on driveways and crossovers:

I would like to...