You are here:Home / Service / Public & Environmental Health / Public Health

Public Health

Council Environmental Health Officers work under the Public Health Act 1997 to monitor, maintain, protect and promote the health and well being of the community.

Public Health Risk Activities

Activities such as Tattooing, Ear and Body Piercing and Acupuncture are considered 'Public Health Risk Activities' under the Public Health Act 1997 (part 5, Division 3 and 4), due to the risks involved, especially in relation to diseases and infection. To carry out this type of activity in Meander Valley, you must be registered. You can find an application form for registration below. If the business changes ownership, the new owner must re-apply for registration, so the licence is in their own name before conducting any piercing, tattooing or acupuncture. For more specific information and guidelines on these activities, follow the links above.

Notifiable Diseases

What is a notifiable disease?
Notifiable diseases are identified by the Director of Public Health as those with wide public health significance. Upon advice from the Director, the officers from Council's Environmental Health section investigate the possible sources and causes of the disease and, where possible, carry out appropriate preventative action.

Where can I get more information on Notifiable Diseases?
The Department of Health and Human Services have put together some fact sheets including important information regarding notifiable diseases. To find this information easily, click on the links below.


Rainwater Tanks

Rainwater Tanks are utilised by many Meander Valley residents. This is a fantastic step towards sustainability, especially during times of drought as we have experienced in the last few years. To maintain the quality and integrity of the water, there are a few simple steps you need to follow, especially if you are using the rainwater for drinking or cooking. A helpful resource on maintaining your rainwater tank has been put together by the Australian Government Environmental Health Authority: Guidance on use of Rainwater Tanks.

Who do I contact for any further information or should I have a complaint of an environmental or public health nature?
Contact Council's Environmental Health Office between 8.30am and 5.00pm weekdays on 6393 5300.

I would like to...